Visiting Students

Are you a student at another college or university?

Are you thinking about going back to school and want to get caught up on pre-requisites?

Are you interested in taking a course or two, but not in enrolling in an entire degree program?

Summer is the perfect time to enroll at Temple University as a visiting student.


Visiting students are students who enroll in Temple University courses, but are not earning a Temple University degree.

If you are interested in registering as a visiting student, please follow these steps:

  1. Check our course listings to identify courses of interest.
  2. Fill out an online non-degree application through the Office of Continuing Studies.
  3. Upload copies of ALL previous transcripts to the application. Unofficial copies are ok.
  4. Complete a request for approval from your home institution (if applicable). This prompt will come after you submit the application. It is your responsibility to ensure that courses at Temple will transfer back to your home institution.
  5. The Office of Continuing Studies will process your application and get in touch with you regarding next steps.


  1. Are summer courses going to be offered in 2021?
    Yes! Summer courses will be offered in summer 2021. At this time, no decision has been made about whether courses will be offered primarily online or on campus in either the Summer I or Summer II terms. For updates on Temple University's response to COVID-19, please visit Temple University's official page at
  2. When can visiting students register for summer 2021 courses?
    Registration for summer 2021 courses will open on March 31, 2021 for visiting students. You must have an approved application (see step 2 above) from the Office of Continuing Studies to be able to reister for a summer course as a visiting (non-degree) student.
  3. What courses does Temple offer?
    Temple offers thousands of courses each summer in hundreds of areas of study. To see the full course listings, browse our online course schedule.
  4. Can I take courses on any Temple campus?
    Yes, visiting students are welcome to take courses on any of our campuses: Temple University's Main Campus in North Philadelphia, our Center City, Ambler, and Harrisburg campuses, or our campuses abroad in Rome, Italy and Tokyo, Japan. Visiting students are also welcome to take online courses.
  5. How will I know what the equivalent courses are at my college or university?
    Our Transfer Equivalency Tool can be used to identify courses at other institutions and their possible equivalencies at Temple. This tool does not include all schools nor all courses. It is your responsibility to work with your home institution to ensure credit from Temple will transfer back to your home institution.
  6. How much do Temple's courses cost for visiting students?
    All summer courses are billed by the credit hour. Costs vary depending on whether you are a Pennsylvania resident or not. Visiting students pay the non-matriculated student part-time rate. That rate is multiplied by the number of credits. For example, most courses are three credits. If you were taking one course, you would pay the rate times three. This would be added with the University Services Fee, which all students pay. Please click here to view the tuition rates and fees.
  7. Is financial aid available?
    Financial aid for summer courses is generally very limited. Everyone's individual situation is different. Please contact Student Financial Services to speak with an SFS representative.
  8. Can I live on campus?
    Yes. Visiting students who are taking three or more credits can apply for campus housing. Please visit the Summer Housing page for more details.
  9. I've already taken courses as a visiting student at Temple. How do I get a copy of my transcript?
    Click here for instructions on how to request your official transcript from the University Registrar.
  10. Who can I talk to if I have questions?
    If you have questions about applying as a visiting student, the status of your application, or other registration questions, please contact the Office of Continuing Studies at 215-204-2500 or

    If you have other questions about the summer term, please contact the Office of Summer and Special Programs at 215-204-2712 or