Discover what you can achieve.
3 academic experiences.
1 unforgettable summer.
Temple Summer Academy is an academically rigorous pre-college program for students entering grades 11 or 12. You'll experience the academics, energy, and culture of Temple University during this four-week online summer program. Join us online this summer to explore new subjects, dive into a current interest with intense focus, and earn college credit for one undergraduate course at Temple University. Temple Summer Academy students will:
- Take a college course (3 or 4 credits, depending on the course)
- Explore college majors by taking two non-credit academic workshops in two different fields.
- Earn a Temple tuition grant by successfully completing the program*
- Build their confidence and sense of independence, with the option to live on campus
- Make new friends and build community with other students from diverse backgrounds
This program runs from July 12 - August 6, 2021 and will take place online.
Customize your Temple Summer Academy experience to suit your interests
- Choose one college course.
Four options. Each fulfills part of the General Education requirement, or foreign language requirement for some programs, at Temple University. Meets daily for four weeks.
- Choose two non-credit workshops.
30+ options. Topics include health and medicine, writing, the arts, business, politics and social justice, leadership, pre-law, college readiness, and more. Your first workshop will meet daily for the first two weeks of the program. Your second workshop will meet daily for the second two weeks of the program.
Learn with others online
Your program will be a mix of live ("synchronous") sessions with your instructors, and time to work on your own or in a small group ("asynchronous"). Every course and workshop is designed to be as interactive as possible. You can expect your college course to be the same academically rigorous experience as you would have as a Temple undergraduate enrolled in an online course. Your non-credit workshops are designed to introduce you to the key concepts of various academic fields through project-based learning, often through work in small groups.
Participation in this program requires access to a device (computer or tablet) that is connected to reliable, high-speed internet. Participation with a smartphone is not recommended.
Sample Daily Schedule
All times are Eastern time.
- 9:45 - 10:00 - Homeroom
- 10:00 - 11:15 - Morning Workshop or Course
- 11:15 - 11:30 - Break
- 11:30 - 12:30 - Prep
Prep is time to work on assignments, group projects, etc.
- 12:30 - 1:30 - Lunch
Free time, with occasional guest speakers on some dates
- 1:30 - 2:45 - Afternoon Workshop or Course
- 2:45 - 3:00 - Break
- 3:00 - 4:00 - Prep
Prep is time to work on assignments, group projects, etc.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Temple Summer Academy requires an application to be admitted to the program**. In order for your application to be considered complete, you must submit the following:
- High school transcript (all grades from 9th grade and up, including most recent grades for the current academic year). An unofficial copy of your transcript is ok.
- Test scores (Copy of PSAT, SAT, or ACT. Unofficial reports are ok!) OR an academic writing sample from one of your classes this year. We recognize that you may not have had the opportunity to take a standardized test, or that your test scores may not reflect your academic ability. We have no preference for whether you choose to submit test scores or a writing sample.
- Description of volunteer or student activities participated in during high school.
- Personal statement (500 words)
- Recommendation form from a teacher or guidance counselor (You must provide their name and contact information in your application, and a recommendation form will be emailed to them from email@example.com when you submit your application.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, May 14, 2021.
Notification of Acceptance
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Students are typically notified of their status via email within two weeks of Temple's receipt of their application and other required documents.
Enrolling in the Program
Once you receive your acceptance, you are considered enrolled in the program when you pay your $200 deposit. You may pay the remainder of your program fee up until 7 days prior to the first day of the program.
* Temple Tuition Grant
Temple tuition grant ($1,000 per year for four years) is contingent on earning a B or better in the Temple Summer Academy college course, enrolling at Temple University as a first-time, full-time freshman, and maintaining a 3.0 GPA and continuous full-time enrollment status.
** Please note that being accepted to Temple Summer Academy does not mean that you are guaranteed admission to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study. Similarly, if your application to Temple Summer Academy is denied, it does not mean that you will not later be admitted to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study.
- What are the benefits of enrolling in Temple Summer Academy?
Temple Summer Academy is a program only for high school students, designed to introduce you to college academics and fields you may choose to major in. You will learn with a small, tight-knit group of other high school students from all walks of life, and you will get lots of support from our Temple student staff along the way. By the end of the program, you will earn 3 or 4 college credits and automatically qualify for a $1,000 per year tuition grant towards your future undergraduate education at Temple University.
- What is the minimum GPA to get into Temple Summer Academy?
There is no minimum GPA, but we generally look for students who are at or near the criteria we use to evaluate our incoming freshman class. To read more about the admissions criteria we use for our freshman class, please click here.
- How much does Temple Summer Academy cost?
The cost of Temple Summer Academy is $2,495 per student. This fee covers the tuition for your college course, two (2) non-credit workshops, ongoing mentorship and support from Temple undergraduate students, and access to a robust schedule of online evening and weekend social activities. For more information on the cost of Temple Summer Academy and how to pay your bill, please visit the program cost page.
- Are there any financial aid or scholarship opportunities?
Yes. Please visit our FAQ page for more information on how to apply. You may need to submit an additional short application to be considered for aid.
- I'm not sure I will go to Temple for college. Is Temple Summer Academy still worth it?
Temple Summer Academy is designed to give you a thorough introduction to college academics. While we hope you will consider Temple as a college choice, we recognize that you may not be sure yet. The knowledge you gain from this program will help you make informed decisions about what you are looking for in a college or university, things to consider when applying, and what fields you may be interested in majoring in. You will also have a Temple transcript that reports the grade you earn in your college course, and you can transfer the credits from that course to another institution.
- I have another question that isn't answered here. How do I find the answer?
First, check out our broader FAQ page. If you still have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 215-204-2712 and a member of our staff will be happy to help you.
The Temple Summer Academy curriculum is developed and delivered by Temple University, University College in partnership with:
- Beasley School of Law
- Boyer College of Music and Dance
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Engineering
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Public Health
- Fox School of Business
- College of Science and Technology
- Klein College of Media and Communication
- School of Sport, Tourism, and Hospitality Management
- School of Theater, Film, and Media Arts
- Temple University, Rome Campus
- Tyler School of Art and Architecture