Temple Summer Academy is an academically rigorous pre-college program for students entering grades 11 or 12. You'll experience the academics, energy, and culture of Temple University during this four-week summer program. Temple Summer Academy students will:
- Take a college course (3 or 4 credits, depending on the course)
- Participate in two non-credit academic workshops in fields of study like writing, neuroscience, business, leadership, game theory, studio art and design, and more.
- Earn a Temple tuition grant by successfully completing the program*
- Build their confidence and sense of independence, with the option to live on campus
- Make new friends and build community with other students from diverse backgrounds
This program runs from July 6 - July 31, 2020 on Temple University's Main Campus in Philadelphia or from June 29 - July 24 on our Harrisburg campus. Applications are currently being accepted!
Customize your Temple Summer Academy experience to suit your interests
- Choose one college course.
Main Campus: Two options. Each fulfills part of the General Education requirement at Temple University. Meets daily for four weeks in the morning from 9:30-12:00.
Harrisburg Campus: One course that fulfills part of the General Education requirement at Temple University. Meets daily for four weeks in the morning from 9:30-12:00.
- Choose two non-credit workshops.
Main Campus: Multiple options in each of two (2) two-week blocks. Topics include psychology and neuroscience, game theory, pre-law, and more. Choose one option for the first two weeks and another for the second two weeks. Meets daily in the afternoon from 1:00-3:30.
Harrisburg Campus: Students take one (1) four-week workshop on leadership, learning how to leverage their personal leadership styles and traits to achieve success in school and in their communities, and to plan for their futures.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Temple Summer Academy requires an application to be admitted to the program**. In order for your application to be considered complete, you must submit the following:
- High school transcript (all grades from 9th grade and up, including most recent grades for the current academic year)
- Test scores (Copy of PSAT, SAT, or ACT. Unofficial reports are ok!)
- Essay (500 words)
- Recommendation form from a teacher or guidance counselor (You must provide their name and contact information in your application, and a recommendation form will be emailed to them from firstname.lastname@example.org when you submit your application.
Applications will be accepted through May 8, 2020 or until the program is full. Apply early!
Notification of Acceptance
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Students are typically notified of their status via email within two weeks of Temple's receipt of their application and other required documents.
* Temple Tuition Grant
Temple tuition grant ($1,000 per year for four years) is contingent on earning a B or better in the Temple Summer Academy college course, enrolling at Temple University as a first-time, full-time freshman, and maintaining a 3.0 GPA and continuous full-time enrollment status.
** Please note that being accepted to Temple Summer Academy does not mean that you are guaranteed admission to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study. Similarly, if your application to Temple Summer Academy is denied, it does not mean that you will not later be admitted to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study.
- What do I do if I haven’t taken any standardized test yet?
The test scores options for the Temple Summer Academy can be PSAT, SAT, or ACT. You can submit your unofficial results as part of your application; an official copy of your scores is not required. If you have not taken any of these tests yet, please email email@example.com to explain your personal circumstances and discuss options.
- What is the minimum GPA to get into Temple Summer Academy?
There is no minimum GPA, but we generally look for students who are at or near the criteria we use to evaluate our incoming freshman class. To read more about the admissions criteria we use for our freshman class, please click here.
- What is the minimum standardized test score to get into Temple Summer Academy?
We generally look for students who earn scores at or near those of our incoming freshman class so we are confident that you will be successful in the college course you take as part of the program. However, test scores are just one part of your overall application to Temple Summer Academy.
- Isn’t Temple University test optional for freshman admission? Why do I have to submit standardized test scores for Temple Summer Academy?
The Temple Option is an undergraduate admissions path for talented students whose potential for academic success is not accurately captured by standardized test scores. You can choose the Temple Option for undergraduate admission to Temple University. However, for Temple Summer Academy, we will not have all your high school grades yet, so we use test scores as one of our admissions criteria. These test scores will not be kept on file and will not be taken into account if you later decide to apply for admission to the university.
The Temple Summer Academy curriculum is developed and delivered in partnership with: