Temple Summer Academy is an academically rigorous pre-college program for students entering grades 11 or 12. You'll experience the academics, energy, and culture of Temple University during this four-week online summer program. Join us online this summer to explore new subjects, delve into a current interest with intense focus, and earn college credit for undergraduate courses at Temple University. Temple Summer Academy students will:
- Take a college course (3 or 4 credits, depending on the course)
- Participate in two non-credit academic workshops in fields of study like writing, neuroscience, business, leadership, game theory, studio art and design, and more.
- Earn a Temple tuition grant by successfully completing the program*
- Build their confidence and sense of independence, with the option to live on campus
- Make new friends and build community with other students from diverse backgrounds
This program runs from July 6 - July 31, 2020 and will take place online. Applications are currently being accepted!
Customize your Temple Summer Academy experience to suit your interests
- Choose one college course.
Two options. Each fulfills part of the General Education requirement at Temple University. Meets daily for four weeks in the morning.
- Choose two non-credit workshops.
Multiple options in each of two (2) two-week blocks. Topics include psychology and neuroscience, public health, leadership, pre-law, and more. Choose one option for the first two weeks and another for the second two weeks. Meets daily in the afternoon.
Learn with others online
Your program will be a mix of live ("synchronous") sessions with your instructors, and time to work on your own or in a small group ("asynchronous"). Every course and workshop is designed to be as interactive as possible. You can expect your college course to be the same academically rigorous experience as you would have as a Temple undergraduate enrolled in an online course. Your non-credit workshops are designed to introduce you to the key concepts of various academic fields through project-based learning, often through work in small groups.
Participation in this program requires access to a device (computer or tablet) that is connected to reliable, high-speed internet. While participation on a smartphone is possible, the ability to interact with others will be more limited and is thus not recommended.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Temple Summer Academy requires an application to be admitted to the program**. In order for your application to be considered complete, you must submit the following:
- High school transcript (all grades from 9th grade and up, including most recent grades for the current academic year)
- Test scores (Copy of PSAT, SAT, or ACT. Unofficial reports are ok!)
- Essay (500 words)
- Recommendation form from a teacher or guidance counselor (You must provide their name and contact information in your application, and a recommendation form will be emailed to them from email@example.com when you submit your application.
Applications will be accepted through an extended deadline of May 22, 2020.
Notification of Acceptance
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Students are typically notified of their status via email within two weeks of Temple's receipt of their application and other required documents.
* Temple Tuition Grant
Temple tuition grant ($1,000 per year for four years) is contingent on earning a B or better in the Temple Summer Academy college course, enrolling at Temple University as a first-time, full-time freshman, and maintaining a 3.0 GPA and continuous full-time enrollment status.
** Please note that being accepted to Temple Summer Academy does not mean that you are guaranteed admission to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study. Similarly, if your application to Temple Summer Academy is denied, it does not mean that you will not later be admitted to Temple University for undergraduate or graduate study.
- What do I do if I haven’t taken any standardized test yet?
The test scores options for the Temple Summer Academy can be PSAT, SAT, or ACT. You can submit your unofficial results as part of your application; an official copy of your scores is not required. If you have not taken any of these tests yet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain your personal circumstances and discuss options.
- What is the minimum GPA to get into Temple Summer Academy?
There is no minimum GPA, but we generally look for students who are at or near the criteria we use to evaluate our incoming freshman class. To read more about the admissions criteria we use for our freshman class, please click here.
- What is the minimum standardized test score to get into Temple Summer Academy?
We generally look for students who earn scores at or near those of our incoming freshman class so we are confident that you will be successful in the college course you take as part of the program. However, test scores are just one part of your overall application to Temple Summer Academy.
- Isn’t Temple University test optional for freshman admission? Why do I have to submit standardized test scores for Temple Summer Academy?
The Temple Option is an undergraduate admissions path for talented students whose potential for academic success is not accurately captured by standardized test scores. You can choose the Temple Option for undergraduate admission to Temple University. However, for Temple Summer Academy, we will not have all your high school grades yet, so we use test scores as one of our admissions criteria. These test scores will not be kept on file and will not be taken into account if you later decide to apply for admission to the university.
- How much does Temple Summer Academy cost?
The cost of Temple Summer Academy is $2,695 per student. This fee covers the tuition for your college course, two (2) non-credit workshops, ongoing mentorship and support from Temple undergraduate students, and access to a robust schedule of online evening and weekend social activities.
- I enrolled in this program before it moved online for summer 2020 and am not sure what my options are.
We are excited to meet you this summer! We are offering all currently enrolled students the option to make changes to their schedule, defer to next summer, or receive a refund. Contact us at email@example.com so we can help. Please note that any refund requests must be received in writing via email no less than 14 days prior to the start of each session.
- I have another question that isn't answered here. How do I find the answer?
First, check out our broader FAQ page. If you still have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 215-204-2712 and a member of our staff will be happy to help you.
The Temple Summer Academy curriculum is developed and delivered in partnership with: