Registration and Payment
The first step to attend a pre-college program is to apply to Temple Summer Academy or Temple Summer Scholars, or fill out the enrollment form for Temple Pre-College Workshops. These steps are completed online.
- We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- To pay by check, please contact us at 215-204-2712 or email@example.com.
- We are unable to accept cash.
- If you have been invoiced for a program and need to pay your balance, please view the instructions for how to do so online.
Temple University offers limited pre-college financial aid based on financial need. To obtain an application for financial aid, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The priority deadline for financial aid is February 28, 2021. The final deadline is May 1, 2021.
Students who are in need of aid are also encouraged to research and apply for different organizations that provide aid to high school/pre-college students. Some organizations that may be able to assist include the Charles E. Ellis Trust for Girls (Philadelphia students only) and Wishbone. You may also consider asking your high school counselor if they are aware of any other sources of aid in your area. Community organizations may also provide scholarships to their local students. It is important to be proactive and start your aid search very early.
Course and Workshop Selection
When you apply to a pre-college program, you will be asked to rank your top course and workshop choices from a larger list of workshops running during the selected dates. Your final selections will be confirmed as the program's start date gets closer, and you will be notified via email.
Course and Workshop Cancelation
The Office of Summer and Pre-College Programs reserves the right to cancel a workshop or course due to low enrollment. Students will be given the option of enrolling in an alternate choice or receiving a full refund. We would like to stress that it is very helpful to the process if you enroll early! Please allow 14 days if paying by credit card.
Your deposit to any pre-college program is non-refundable.
If you need to withdraw from your program, you must provide written notice to our office by emailing email@example.com.
- If your withdrawal notice is sent more than 14 days before your program's start date, you will be issued a full refund, less your deposit.
- If your withdrawal notice is sent less 14 days and 1 day before your program's start date, you will be issued a 50% refund, less your deposit.
- No refunds will be issued for withdrawal requests received with less than one day prior to the student's scheduled program start date.
Final course selections will be confirmed as early as possible, but no later than 7 days prior to the start of the program. If your first choice courses or workshops do not run due to low enrollment, we will issue a full refund or we will gladly place the student in another course of their choice.
Information for Currently Enrolled Students
We are excited to meet you this summer! We are offering all currently enrolled students the option to make changes to their schedule, defer to next summer, or receive a refund. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help. Please note that any refund requests must be received in writing via email no less than 14 days prior to the start of each session.
If you were enrolled in housing prior to the program being moved online, we are working to process all housing refunds. If you were enrolled in housing but had not yet paid your balance, your balance will be reduced to account for the housing refund. If you had already begun paying your housing invoice, or paid in full, please allow up to 14 days for refunds to be reflected on your credit card.
Read below for the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions about attending pre-college programs at Temple University.
What pre-college programs does Temple offer?
The Office of Summer and Pre-College Programs offers three programs: Temple Summer Scholars (6 weeks, earn college credit), Temple Summer Academy (4 weeks, earn college credit), and Temple Pre-College Workshops (2 weeks, non-credit). Other parts of Temple University offer pre-college programs as well. Click here for the full list.
- What grade do I need to be in to be eligible to participate in pre-college programs?
Temple Pre-College Workshops are open to students entering grades 9, 10, 11, or 12 in fall 2021. Temple Summer Academy and Temple Summer Scholars are open to students entering grades 11 or 12 in fall 2021. If you will graduate from high school in spring/summer 2021 and want to know what your options are for getting a head start on college, please contact email@example.com.
- What time of day do the pre-college programs take place?
All programs will generally keep you busy throughout the day from Monday through Friday, including breaks. Schedules may vary and are published on each program's page. Half-day options for our pre-college curriculum are not available.
- What can I expect in my online pre-college program?
Our online programs will combine both live ("synchronous") online class sessions and sessions where you work at your own pace on a group or individual project ("asynchronous"). In addition, you will be invited to participate in regularly scheduled virtual social activities on evenings and weekends. Schedules will be provided in advance so you can choose activities that appeal to you.
- How many people will be in my online workshop or course?
Generally, no more than 22 students will be enrolled in a single workshop or course, but some workshops may have as few as seven students enrolled. We want you to be in a small environment where you'll have plenty of opportunities to interact with other students and your instructor.
- Do I need to apply to get into your pre-college programs?
Temple Summer Academy and Temple Summer Scholars do require an application for admission. However, Temple Pre-College Workshops and most other pre-college programs across the university do not require an application.
- What are the deadlines for the application/enrollment process?
Temple Summer Academy and Temple Summer Scholars applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply for either of these programs is May 14, 2021. The enrollment deadlines for Temple Pre-College workshops are ten days prior to the program's start date, or when the program fills to capacity. Please apply or enroll early!
- Can I live on campus?
Unfortunately, campus housing will not be available in 2021.
- What technology do I need to have at home to participate in an online program?
- A home computer or work laptop computer that meets our minimum requirements
- An approved antivirus software application:
- Windows users: Enable Windows Defender. Alternatively, you can also use the latest versions of: Norton (Internet Security, Security, Security with Backup), Symantec, McAfee or Sophos.
- Mac users: Turn on your Mac firewall.
- Awareness that you are responsible for following the Technology and Software Usage Policy.
- Internet connection—broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in
- Or, a HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
Participating in a pre-college program with only a smartphone is not recommended.
- What will the virtual weekend and evening activities during the program be like?
Virtual evening and weekend activities will be hosted several times a week. These activities are optional, but are great opportunities to meet other students outside of class. We are still working on our schedule of virtual activities but will likely be hosting game nights, chats with current Temple students, virtual campus tours, Philadelphia sightseeing tours, and more. There will also be a way for you to submit your ideas for what kinds of social activities you'd like to participate in.
- What kind of academic support will I have?
Throughout your program, you will be guided by a dedicated staff of Temple undergraduate students who will serve as Pre-College Mentors. In addition to your instructors, these Pre-College Mentors will be there to help facilitate your online experience in the classroom, brainstorm how to successfully complete your projects, and just generally be there to answer your questions. They'll also be the ones running the evening/weekend activities.
- Will I feel welcome in my pre-college program?
Temple University believes that all students have something of value to contribute. Temple University’s Office of Summer and Pre-College Programs takes pride in fostering an inclusive environment where all students feel comfortable regardless of their race, background, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. We support a commitment to diversity and inclusion and welcome all qualified students. If you have any concerns about this, please don’t hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215--204-2712.
- Is financial aid available?
Limited need-based financial aid is available! If you believe you qualify, please inquire early by emailing email@example.com.
- Are payment plans available?
Yes. You must hold your space in your program with a deposit ($100 for Pre-College Workshops, $200 for Temple Summer Academy, or $300 for Temple Summer Scholars), but you can pay the remaining balance in any installments that work for you and your family. All program fees must be paid in full 7 days prior to the start of the program.
- I'm enrolled in a pre-college program for summer 2021! What do I do next to get ready to attend?
After your deposit is paid, please be on the lookout for a link that will be sent to you via email to access our Enrolled Students page.